CDE Contractor Café: Leveraging the California Department of Education’s Professional Development Systems
This session provides participants the opportunity to visit with each of the quality projects lists below in a timed format. Each participant is provided a handout with the descriptions of each project, along with a notetaking guide. Stephen Propheter moderates this contractor café session.
- Beginning Together: Inclusive Settings: Linda Brault
- CA Teaching Pyramid/Collaborative on the Social Emotional Foundations for Early Learning (CA CSEFEL): Jeff Gibbons
- California Inclusion and Behavior Consultation Network (CIBC) & Development Screening Network: Diane Harkins
- California Preschool Instructional Network (CPIN): Natalie Woods Andrews and Stacy Sewell
- Desired Results Training and Technical Assistance Project: Melinda Brookshire
- Family Child Care at its Best (FCCB): Dianne Thompson
- Program for Infant Toddler Care (PITC): Arlene Paxton
In October 2019, Stephen Propheter was selected by State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond to serve as the Director of the Early Learning and Care Division (ELCD) at the California Department of Education (CDE). The ELCD provides leadership and support to California’s early learning and care (ELC) community, providers, and contractors. As the ELCD Director, Stephen oversees more than $4 billion in investments for ELC programs including State Preschool, programs for infants and toddlers and California’s voucher programs. Stephen is also the State Administrator for the federal Child Care and Development Fund (CCDF) and oversees the CCDF State Plan. He is responsible for providing oversight and leadership to more than 700 early learning and care contractors as well as administration of the statewide quality improvement projects. Prior to joining ELCD, Stephen worked in fiscal policy for ELC and nutrition programs in the CDE’s Fiscal and Administrative Services Division and operated a family child care home with his wife.